1. Choose healthy: there are many unhealthy food options in the dorms, but you must pick and choose wisely or it will sneak up on you!
2. Get active: participate in club sports or hit the gym 3-5 times a week.
3. Avoid eating late at night: calories stick to you past 9pm because you are not burning them off by being active.
4. Meal plan: have three solid, healthy meals each day with a yogurt or crackers as a small snack in between.
5. Drink water: at least 2 liters a day to stay fit and hydrated.
6. Eat vegetables: they are essential to your growth and health diet and provide a lot of nutrition!
7. Small portions: watch the amount of food you eat. Most people overeat, so it is essential to only each a single portion size.
8. Protein power: you must eat protein! Whether it is meat or a substitute, make sure you have some at least once a day to stay lean.
9. Avoid liquid calories: juices and sodas add up and are unnecessary calories, stay away from drinking too much of them!
10. Fiber time: eat a good, solid breakfast that is packed with fiber. Steel-cut oatmeal is a great example with fresh fruit.
11. Drinking: one shot, one glass of wine, and one beer all equate to around 100 calories each. Not worth it! Be careful with alcohol consumption if you choose to drink.
12. Pizza Problems: pizza is the easiest meal a college student can consume. It also has zero nutritional value. Try to stay away.
13. All you can eat: buffets exist at nearly every campus, but that does not mean you have to eat everything in sight.
14. Dessert Drama: eating dessert can be easily avoided. Choose one night a week where you splurge on something delicious.
15. Carbo-Overload: carbs are essential in your diet, but you must pick the right ones. Avoid white rice and white bread and instead choose whole grain, beans and brown rice.
These tips should be your bible to live by in order to survive the dorm-food lifestyle. By following these, you will look and feel great about yourself and be able to stay focused on schoolwork throughout the day!
(Photo by my guitarazz under Creative Commons Attribution Generic 2.0)