The first of many in our series of sorority 101, as outlined here.
Who knew that they’re actually judging you on what you look like and not just what’s on the inside? Hey, I’ve been on both sides. It’s hard to go from being the judged to the judgee, but the one sorority cliché that I will agree with is “everyone ends up in the sorority that they should.”
Sorority reputations at the U of O preceded them, especially since a lot of us came from the same hometown. It meant that I walked into multiple houses with a very closed mind. I ended up being negatively surprised at one, but positively surprised at several. These girls knew how to sell. I’m kind of surprised it’s not a necessity for sorority women to become marketing execs because we’d rule the world.
- Come with an open mind…seriously
- Wear dark wash jeans (light denim is not universally flattering…I don’t care what fashion magazines tell you)
- Wear comfy shoes. Campus sizes will vary, but you will be getting a work-out no matter what
- Wear classy statement jewelry. It will make you stand out, especially if you’re not so good in the conversation department. But not too big…keep it classy.
- Find a buddy in your walking group. Hell, make friends with your whole walking group. My best friend today and I only just realized we were in the same group by looking at old photos. You’re going to be herded around for quite awhile, might as well make it an enjoyable experience.
- Talk about houses outside of them. You have no idea what house your Rho Gamma is, and it can actually damage your chances
- Wear short skirts or dresses. You’ll be sitting in all kinds of different living rooms. There’s only so many ways that you can gracefully cross your legs.
- Gossip or lie when talking to girls in houses. They network, even with other sororities. They’ll probably figure it out and it will backfire on you.
- Give up. It’s a long and stressful process but oh so worth it. You make friends, network and learn the lay of the land just by sticking with rush.
- Drink too much water before. This is a big one. You probably think you’re being healthy by hydrating but it screws up a sorority’s presentation’s game. They have to escort you to particular bathrooms during rush and it ruins their timing. Trust me.
And that’s just the beginning. Fasten your seatbelts ladies because the journey is just beginning.